News

Latest Date to confirm ESOS Phase 2 Compliance - How Much Time's Left ?

 

ESOS Compliance Period 2 Deadline Time Remaining

62% of the ESOS Compliance Period 2 has already passed.  Leaving less than 38% of the time available to complete your energy audits, ESOS reports and ESOS assessments.

All businesses and organisations which qualify for the second phase of the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme, ESOS, need to confirm they have complied with the ESOS regulations to the Environment Agency before the next compliance date on 5th December 2019.

So if you haven't already started the work needed to ensure you meet the second ESOS compliance deadline, then its probably a good idea to create a plan now.

The clock's ticking !       Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme - ESOS Compliance Period 2 

02 June 2018 

Sussex offshore Rampion wind farm near Brighton and Worthing completed

After two years work the Rampion offshore wind farm with 116 turbines has been finished.

The scheme will generate enough electricity to supply 350,000 homes, approximately half of all the homes in Sussex.  Costing £1 billion, the Rampion scheme covers 72 square kilometres.  New Sussex Wind Farm

Located between 13 and 20 kilometres off the Sussex coast in the English Channel, it's close to Brighton and Worthing, with an operations and maintenance base in Newhaven.

The Rampion wind farm’s 140 metre turbines can be seen from many beaches along the Sussex coastline.  Rampion Wind Farm

29 May 2018

Environment Agency Auditing Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Participants

The Environment Agency have been conducting Compliance Audits to assess how businesses and organisations participating in the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) have performed.ESOS Audit

The EA's audits are to ensure that qualifying organisations are complying with the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme Regulations 2014.

Most participants were found to be compliant (16%) or compliant with remedial actions (75%). So overall compliance with the ESOS Regulations for the First Phase of the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme was around 91%.

The Environment Agency expected to audit around 380 organisations in the 2017-18 financial year.

26 April 2018

The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) extended journey

When the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme was first announced in 2013 the deadline for confirming ESOS compliance was set for 5th December 2015.

After lots of studying of the ESOS guides, completing an ESOS assessor course and passing the test I became registered as an ESOS assessor in 2014.Fenn Utilities ESOS web

After a few initial tentative enquiries the momentum slowly built. As the end of 2015 approached this turned into a bit of a rush to ensure all the work was completed, and every client could confirm their ESOS compliance in time.

In October 2015 the Environment Agency announced a reprieve, saying they were "Not normally expecting to take enforcement action for late notification provided it is received by 29 January 2016". So we then had another rush to meet this 2nd deadline.

But new enquiries for ESOS audits and assessments were still coming in, many months later

ESOS notification letters continued to be sent out to remind and warn those who had not yet confirmed their ESOS compliance.

So I was as busy as ever helping larger businesses and organisations complete their ESOS audits, assessments and reports, so they can provide their comply with the ESOS Scheme regulations.  They were all finally completed by the summer of 2016.

ESOS proved to be a very interesting and rewarding for clients, with many valuable savings opportunities being discovered.  Long may the benefits of their new found energy savings continue !

09 February 2017

Businesses Still Requesting ESOS Assessments

Very pleased to find businesses are still contacting our ESOS assessor and asking him to complete their ESOS audits and ESOS assessments, even though the original deadline for confirming compliance with the ESOS regulations was on 5th December 2015.

Fenn Utilities ESOS assessmentsThe majority of our clients are based in London and the South East but we actually work over a much wider area. 

Most larger businesses have a number of sites, which are often spread around the country.

A typical ESOS assessment may take from 6 or 7 days, for small organisations, to many months, for larger businesses and organisations, from start to finish.  As it takes a lot of detailed work to comply with all the ESOS rules and regulations.

The Environment Agency seem to have adopted a fairly forgiving approach and provided some additional leeway, to allow businesses and organisations additional time to complete their ESOS reports. 

The financial penalties for failing to comply with the ESOS regulations are severe.

So any businesses or organisation wondering if they need to complete an ESOS assessment are advised to contact Stephen, our MEI Chartered Energy Manager and registered ESOS Assessor, as soon as possible :   http://fennutilities.com/esos-energy-savings-opportunity-scheme

03 March 2016